credo : ‘I believe’
If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.
We affirm that God in Christ speaks to humankind in the inscripturated Word, the Bible, and that it is reliable and authoritative concerning all things that it addresses, not only concerning salvation, but also concerning the cosmos (history and the physical universe).
- I believe in the one infinite personal creator-God, revealed as three distinct co-equal and co-essential persons, eternally dwelling in covenant community as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; the Son sent to become the incarnate Word of God in time-space history in the person of Jesus Christ as truly God and truly man, and the Holy Spirit sent by the Father and the Son as the active agent of the Godhead to fulfill the decrees of their eternal counsel.
- I believe that humankind, as the climax of God’s creative act, is made in his own likeness: male and female; first, as the ground of intimate relationship with himself (ethical / spiritual); second, as the ground of marriage and family (familial); third, as the ground of human community (societal); and fourth, as the ground for the governance and stewardship of the world under him (cultural).
- I believe that humankind’s first parents, as free moral agents, rebelled against God’s original covenant command by standing in judgement over it, choosing instead to be autonomous, plunging their progeny into ethical and intellectual rebellion against God, and thus, into humankind’s systemic disorder of sin and death.
- I believe that through his obedience, death, resurrection, and ascension Jesus Christ – as the God-man – came to firstly save humankind from sin and death, reconciling it to God the Father through his vicarious death as the judicial penalty for humankind’s ethical rebellion, providing forgiveness of sins and imputing righteousness to those who believe, restoring them to filial intimacy; and secondly, to restore it to God’s creational purpose—that through his humanity as the last Adam he terminated the old creation of sin and death, and, as the second man, inaugurated a new one of righteousness and life, perfecting humanity and renewing the entire cosmos.
- I believe that through God’s activity in spiritual new birth all those that have been foreordained to salvation shall believe, that by grace through faith they are declared to be righteous, and that they shall continue in faith until the end.
- I believe that, in Christ, the redeemed community, as the ‘called out ones’ (ecclesia), are one holy catholic (universal) and apostolic church, and that, coming to the full stature of Christ, it is destined in history – city-by-city – to proclaim and demonstrate, through the Gospel and the power of the Holy Spirit, God’s covenant love, wisdom, and ways for nations and rulers, strategically through its covenant fidelity (one Lord) and apostolic catholicity (one faith, one Spirit, one body).
- I believe that the victory of Christ over his enemies, inaugurated at his ascension, will be gradually realised in history through the Gospel and the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, finally witnessing a lengthy period of human flourishing and peace, culminating in Christ’s return for a matured church, a transformed world, and a restored earth at which time the last enemy – death – will be consumed by life in the resurrection of the dead, and all things will be set-to-rights in the final judgement, and the perfect will come—a fully renewed cosmos.
While the inscripturated Word of God, the Bible, is final and authoritative, the historic creeds of the church serve as provisional summations of that Word, having emerged under the superintending hand of God for the edification and correction of the church.
We affirm the Ecumenical Creeds: